When a customer orders an item for which you have no availability, the order can receive a "Back Order" status. The quantity back-ordered will display on the order detail page in the "BackOrderedQty" column. When inventory becomes available the back ordered qty will be adjusted and order statuses will be updated accordingly.
Configuring Back Order Feature
The following client settings should be considered when using the back order feature.
- Enable BackOrder Workflow - This setting must be enabled to activate the following settings. Also, when enabled, the back order quantity and the available quantity will display in the expanded Manage Orders grid (order details).
- Hide BackOrder Column in Manage Orders - will hide the BackOrder icon in the Manage Orders Grid and the BackOrderQty column on Order Detail page.
- Stop Marking Orders as BackOrder while Creating Orders - Order will not be marked with BackOrder status and will hide the BackOrder icon in the Manage Orders Grid and the BackOrderQty column on Order Detail page.
- Consider ReplacementSKU Qty in BackOrder Calculation - If an item is out of stock but its replacement SKU has stock, the order will not be marked as a back order.
- Don't consider Dropship WH Qty as Available Qty for backorder calculation - This will exclude qty in a warehouse type "Dropship" from the backorder calculation. This setting is typically used when vendor qty is fed into the warehouse, but is not dropshipped. Rather, the items are actually ordered on a PO, received, and then shipped to the customer. Enabling this setting will allow you to include ordered items with qty only in the dropship warehouse to be filtered by the "Backorder" filter. The orders can then be linked to a PO and managed with cross docking in ReceiveBridge.
- Include Authorized Orders In BackOrder Calculation - By default, only paid orders are considered for calculating backorders.
- Include Unpaid Orders In BackOrder Calculation - By default, only paid orders are considered for calculating backorders.
From the Manage Orders page, you can filters orders by Full BackOrder, Partial BackOrder, No BackOrder.
- When an order is created, split, or items added to an order, the back order status and qty is determined immediately on all related orders. Other qty adjustments update back order status periodically throughout the day.
- When inventory becomes available though a PO Receive, the back order status and qty should update immediately on related orders. Other qty adjustments update back order status periodically throughout the day.
- When qty becomes available it is applied chronologically to order, with inventory becoming available first to older orders.
Managing Back Orders
When an order come in for an item out of stock, SellerCloud provides several tools to help you manage the backorders.
- Delay shipping
can also email the customer, notifying them of
cancellation or delay in shipping. An email template can be created fr this purpose, and emails can be sent out automatically when a back order occurs. This is a two step process:
“Settings” select “Email Templates.” (You can also do this
under Company Settings > toolbox > Email Settings > Email
Templates) Add a template to reflect cancellation because item is
out of stock.
Company Settings open the toolbox and select Email Settings >
Email Template Assignment. This assigns an email to be sent when
encountering a given property. Scroll down to
OutOfStockInventoryNotice and select template. The email will be
sent out when an order gets marked as a "back order".